Ceannt Station opened on 1 August 1851. This made Galway the western terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway giving the city a direct main line to its Broadstone Station terminus in Dublin.
As the 19th century progressed the rail network in Connacht was expanded, making Galway an important railhead. The nearby town of Athenry became a railway junction, giving Galway links to Ennis, Limerick and the south in 1869 and Sligo and the north in 1894. In 1895 the MGW opened a branch line between Galway and Clifden.
The 20th century brought increasing road competition, and this led the Great Southern Railways to close the Clifden branch in 1935. In the 1970s the state railway authority Córas Iompair Éireann closed the Sligo-Athenry-Ennis line to passenger services. It later closed to freight as well.
It was given the name Ceannt on 10 April 1966 in commemoration of Éamonn Ceannt, one of the executed leaders of the Easter Rising of 1916.
The site of the proposed development, and the Galway Docks area in general is outside the medieval walled town of Galway. Most of the Docks were covered by the tide until land was reclaimed from the sea in the middle of the 19th century. A flavour of the nature extent of the 19th century reclamation and coastal works is provided in the accounts above. The extent of the changes in the Galway Docks area is recorded historic mapping of the area. The Irish Historic Towns Atlas for Galway, published in 2016 contains a wealth of historic maps of the city. An analytical map of Galway in the medieval period published in the Irish Historic Towns Atlas, Figure 1 (above), shows the position of the subject site and the New Dock in relation to the medieval city, and shows that these areas were beneath the tide. A map of 1691 by Edward Jones, Figure 2, shows the area as a tidal beach and marshland. A map by Michael Logan of 1818, Figure 3, shows the Docks under construction, but still flooded at that late period.